It was recently Mother’s Day in the UK and although I am miles away from mine, I thought I’d bake these jam filled heart cookies for her to be reminded that it’s her special day and for me to enjoy with a cup of tea (you can’t have your cake and eat it too!).
They are so easy to make and deliciously good, I mean, they are full of butter and after almost 5 years of living in France I have learned that anything with butter tastes amazing.
The French love their butter and a lot of their cooking relies on it, If you could only guess how much butter is in a single pain au chocolat (chocolate croissant) you would probably never eat one again. What’s funny is that despite all the butter they use, the French are quite thin, I guess one day I’ll find out their secret and share it with you all.
Check out my recipe for the perfect jam heart cookies below
Jam Heart Cookies
- 200g Cubes of Butter, Cold
- 100g Powdered Sugar
- 300g Flour
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Milk
- Strawberry Jam
- Step 1 In a food processor, pour the flour, powdered sugar and salt and blend together until combined.
- Step 2 Add the butter and continue to blend until a crumbles start to form.
- Step 3 Slowly add the milk in to the mixture and continue to blend together.
- Step 4 Wrap the dough in plastic food wrap and leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Step 5 Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Step 6 Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and use a heart shaped cookie cutter to form the shape of your cookie.
- Step 7 Cut one full heart shape out of the dough (to go on the bottom) and for the second, use a knife to form a small heart in the center of the cookie (if your cookie cutter does not have have one) to go on the top.
- Step 8 Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Step 9 Leave the cookies to cool.
- Step 10 Take one tsp of strawberry jam, place in the centre of the cookie and place another heart cookie with no centre on top.