So I decided that it is my turn to try out the Matcha dessert craze.
I wasn’t so sure about it at the beginning as it does have caffeine and I’m not such a big caffeine lover, but figured that new year, new things to try.
So although Matcha was very big in 2018, it obviously has always been very well known in Asia and apparently is also only used there for special occasions and almost never for desserts like in the west and mostly used for tea or noodles.
I’ve been reading a lot about Matcha and found out that unlike any other normal green tea, Matcha is actually much healthier. It has 137 times more antioxidants than green tea and helps increase memory abilities, speed up our metabolism and simply relaxes our minds. Due to the high level of caffeine, the maximum recommended amount of matcha per day is about one or two cups per day using ½ tsp of Matcha powder per cup.
Since gaining its popularity in the west we can see it combined in almost everything, from Matcha tiramisu to Matcha Latte and then on to Matcha cookies.
So I decided to try it myself and was definitely not disappointed.
Matcha White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 Cups Flour (sifted)
- 1 tbsp Matcha Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Melted Butter
- ½ Cup White Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Cup White Chocolate Chips (I used a broken White Chocolate bar)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 170° and place parchment paper on an oven tray.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, sift the flour, matcha, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Step 3 In a separate large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar and butter.
- Step 4 Once combined add the vanilla extract and egg and mix together.
- Step 5 Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix together till combined.
- Step 6 Add the white chocolate chips to the mixture and carefully fold in to the mixture.
- Step 7 Using an ice cream spoon, scoop up one spoon of the cookie mixture and place on the oven tray keeping a 5 cm gap between each cookie dough scoop.
- Step 8 Bake in the oven for 10 minutes (it depends on the oven, mine took between 10-15).