This has to be one of my favorite cakes, the top came out so crispy and the inside is so fluffy and moist. I think it came out so perfect as it had a special mother – daughter cooperation (everyone knows that my mum is the best cook) and of course the delicious ingredients. The lemon zest in the mixture really adds to the flavour and the lemon drizzle is oh so delish!
For all lemon lovers, this one is definitely a keeper and is perfect dessert for a christmas dinner.
Check out the recipe:
Lemon Drizzle & Blueberry Cake
- 1.5 Cups of Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ⅓ Cup melted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ Cup of Milk (make sure it is warm when pouring into the cake mixture)
- 1 Cup fresh Blueberries (to be mixed in a bowl with 1 tbsp of flour)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 175° and prepare a cake pan.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. I used an electric mixer for this, mix it until the batter is combined.
- Step 4 Continue to mix the butter mixture gently and carefully pour in the dry ingredients and the milk in two goes. Make sure you have another person next to you for this as you will need to pour the dry ingredients and the milk at the same time.
- Step 5 Mix together until combined.
- Step 6 Wash and dry the blueberries. When dry pour them into a bowl with 1 tbsp of flour and mix together. This will prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of your cake.
- Step 7 Add the blueberries to the cake batter and stir gently.
- Step 8 Pour the batter in to a cake pan and bake for 30 – 45 mins (depending on your oven). I like adding a few blueberries to the top of the batter before putting the pan in the oven for an extra effect.
- Step 9 Prepare the lemon drizzle as explained below and pour over cake when it is cool.
- Step 10 For the Lemon Drizzle:
- Step 11 Mix in to a small glass bowl 4 tbsp of melted butter, ½ cup of powdered sugar, 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice and ½ tsp vanilla extract. Pour over cake when it is cool.